You know that new house on the hill? We built it.

Friday, March 4, 2011

In perspective

This week has felt like I'm in the third trimester of building this house. Much like I felt SO ready to have my boys when I reached the home stretch of my pregnancies, I'm feeling VERY ready to be done making decisions about the house and just LIVE there.

On Tuesday night I called my best friend from growing up (who is a graphic designer by profession and expert decision maker by genetic makeup) and whined a bit about having to wrap up the paint color and backsplash decisions. I feel silly about complaining about this when folks are tackling much larger decisions in their own lives. I told Amanda it feels frivolous and indulgent at times to spend my time debating the rainbow of colors at Sherwin Williams or the types of subway tile available. But she kindly pointed out that these are necessary decisions, that even if I was building the cheapest of houses (and we are building this house with a very modest budget), I would still have to decide paint color; I would still have to decide what I want for a countertop.

I really didn't want to wait to the last minute to make decisions about our interior paint colors but it seems that is just what I've done. After toting around the Sherwin Williams paint fan for a few months, I still wasn't in love with any of the colors. I was almost settled on a yellowish brown in our cousin's house but Ashley wasn't sold. So yesterday the boys and I went to E.D. Paints in Lexington and picked up a few Benjamin Moore paint chips. I stuck mostly with the Pottery Barn selections because there were fewer to choose from--and I figured expert designers chose these for a reason. We'll go back today and get samples and paint a few pieces of poster board to tack up in the new house. (side note- my paint testing in our current master bedroom ended because I got tired of seeing all the colors--we painted the room a basic tan to help sell this house for our friends).

All this said, I'm back to keeping this house building business in perspective. I'm not getting the subway tile in the picture from the previous post (found out it was Walker Zanger tile--which is priced much higher than I see fit to spend). I'm going to make these paint decisions this weekend so the painters can start painting next week. And I'm going to continue looking forward to living at the new house so the boys can play in the woods and I can enjoy the outside.

Deep breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in--and providing your thoughts!