You know that new house on the hill? We built it.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Still hunting for the backsplash subway tile...

Sometimes I wish I hadn't found this picture of the kitchen I love. Because if I hadn't found it, I would probably be OK with the more standard white or off-white subway tile for our kitchen backsplash. Now thanks to the Spring 2007 edition of Renovation Style (a magazine I no longer have), I'm on the hunt for this tile. I love the warmth and depth of the tile pictured and wish, oh I wish, that I had saved the sources list at the back of the magazine. Lesson learned--ALWAYS check the sources list at the back of magazines if you see something you like!

That all said, I did find a very close runner-up for the tile this weekend while my husband and I enjoyed a little mini vacation from the kids. This tile is over a century old, however, so who knows where it was made.
And where did I see it? Oh...only at the largest private residence in the United States, the Biltmore House. This tile was used in the stable/barn to the right of the house (where the present day gift shops are). Hmm...

Friday morning we swung by Home Depot and picked up two boxes of subway tile they had in stock. One was this marble looking one. Ashley said we would probably be happy with this one because it is classic. And he's right...so if I don't find a tile that I can purchase that looks like the one in the magazine, we'll probably go with this marble one or just use beadboard as the backsplash (which would be nice because we can paint it whenever we want to change the look of the kitchen). I said from the beginning, we were making decisions and moving forward. But this backsplash is getting the best of me! Oh and we're going with Black Impala granite for our countertops (and a pecan topped island).

2 comments:

  1. This tile seems close.
    http://www.crossvilletileandstone.com/sonoma.html

    Have you tried contacting the kitchen designer? Susan Dudley from Charlotte, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought about contacting the designer. Will look her up, esp. since she's in Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in--and providing your thoughts!