You know that new house on the hill? We built it.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Treatment of Windows

In our other two homes, we used white Venetian blinds on almost all of the windows. Call it plain or me lacking the design initiative to come up with another window treatment option but that's what we had. When we started thinking about this house, I knew I wanted to do something different after looking through countless magazines. I love the functionality of wide Venetians, especially in a neighborhood setting where you need that extra privacy; however, now that we're on 9 acres of land, that isn't as much of an issue. For the past month, we've used the convenient RediShades but now we have time to install something more permanent.

Here is the bathroom with the RediShades. I actually ordered bamboo shades for these windows but then decided that I'd rather have blinds (to allow in more light and give us privacy--even though no one is likely to be peeking in our bathroom windows). I need to go back to Home Depot and order wooden Venetians (we don't want white because as you can tell, there's already a lot of white in that space). Oh and there's the tub! Isn't she lovely?
Here are the bamboo shades I've chosen for the downstairs bedrooms. I love them! They add warmth to the rooms but don't take away from the beauty of those large windows.

The guest bedroom's large windowseat window is trickier. I plan to buy curtains of some sort but for now, this tablecloth works as a swag.
In the boys' rooms upstairs, I repurposed curtains from our previous houses for their windows. That's working great. I haven't decided what to do about the living room windows. I originally thought I wanted to use the bamboo shades there, too, but I don't want to lose that much of the natural light.

Leave this all to say, the treatment of windows is still very much IN progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in--and providing your thoughts!